Self love is defined the act of caring for one’s own well-being and happiness. It can be an intrinsic reminder to prioritize yourself or an act of gratitude and relaxation to reset your mindset and prepare you to face everyday challenges.
Loving yourself is about accepting who you are, showing appreciation for the amazing woman you’ve grown to become, and rewarding yourself for making it through the ups and downs. Self love is a therapeutic approach that can come in many different acts, and should, in fact, so as to address your needs in that moment. It’s not selfish and will actually make you a happier and more positive person when you spend even just a moment on no one else, but yourself.
What does self love mean?
Because the spectrum of acts of self love can span so wide, we took to Facebook to ask our followers, “What does self love mean to you?” Here’s what a few of them had to say.
Linda Emery said “self love is taking care of body, mind, emotions and spirit. Eating good foods, getting enough sleep, massage, drinking lots of water, etc.” We could not have said it better ourselves. Cover all your bases with treating your body, mind, and soul with care!
We asked our fans and staff “what are you doing today to practice self love?” and Reya Kost let us know she’s “getting a pedicure,” and we bet she enjoyed it too. Kelley Kai Hattox said she was “letting every act of kindness from others really sink in,” which is a great reminder that self love can be as simple as adjusting your mindset to appreciate the little things.
When it comes to self love advice for women, Linda Emery said “keep improving, be better than yesterday.” The focus should be on now, not the past. Kim Blair agreed, offering, “keep moving forward and keep improving.”
Self love articles
There are articles all across the web that attempt to describe their definition of self love. Because there are so many different ways to practice, we pulled together a few of our favorite tips from influential women.
- Create your own self love morning routine like this one from Sacred Self Love. Start with an early rise so you’re not rushed and flustered. Breathe in the morning air, eat a nutritious meal, and partake in healthy activities that set you up for a lovely day.
- Take a self love challenge to reset your mindset and focus on putting yourself first and letting life fall into place after. We love this 7 day self-love reset from Well and Good
- Do the things that you love, for no other reason than that you love them. Take this tip from Urban Alchemy and do something just for fun, because you want to. And don’t have guilt or anxiety after doing so. “Fun is the pathway to wellbeing” and doing the things that make you happy should be a priority in your life.
- Know when you’ve done enough, don’t overwork yourself and trust that life will fall into place as it should. Shannon Kaiser tells her story of working ALL the time and the magic she felt when releasing the pressure to do it all. For as hard as you work, you deserve to relax a little.
- The best way to love yourself is to accept who you are and stop comparing your body image to others. Erin Ashley Goldman from Iridescent Scarab tells her story of embracing herself and how it helped her learn and grow into a more positive space.
Sometimes no matter how much you read about what’s best for you, you need a little extra help to get you into the right place. If you’re experiencing a rough time and are looking for support, please give us a call. We can help.